The YMCA is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through our focus on Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. Missouri YMCAs are found in over 70 diverse communities around the state, and serve urban, suburban and rural communities, bringing together young and old, men and women, from all faiths, backgrounds and incomes.
Missouri’s YMCA’s serve over 600,000 Missourians as participants and members. Our YMCA’s employ over 10,000 Missourians. Our policy and advocacy priorities are outlined below.
We actively support:
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- Drowning Prevention/Water Safety Instruction (funding and policy solutions)
- Funding for child care assistance for working parents, which is critical for healthy families.
- Insurance coverage of Diabetes Prevention and Childhood Obesity Programs.
- Child Nutrition Programs and Nutrition Safety Net Programs.
- Prioritization among community partners of integrated community health.
- Policies and program which enhance the connection between body, mind, and spirit.
In coalition with others, we support:
- NAP and YOP tax credit programs, which channel private dollars to community-based organizations.
- Implementation of best practices for healthy eating, healthy living, and physical education by schools and childcare providers.
- Tobacco 21 policies, which encourage healthy choices for teens. Tobacco cessation policies and programs.
- Complete streets policies, which encourage all modes of transportation in our communities.
- Inclusion of wellness facility and program costs in cafeteria plan pre-tax programs.
- Strong, healthy, and vibrant leadership in all communities.
We continue to monitor:
- Nonprofit sales tax and property tax exemptions.
- Modifications to charitable deductions on state income taxes